Skip to main content

Game fun

Game fun

The first reading that I read was natural funativity by Noah Falstain which was about what makes a game fun he describes how some aspects make a game fun he also talks about underlying reasons for human preferences and behavior he then talks about how we share basic drives of survival we also have a strong dependence on the social interactions that maintain our place in families and communities. He also talks about the science of civilization and how humans lived thousands of years ago to see the survival significance of many of our genetic preferences. He also looks back on modern technology and the trappings of civilization mask or distort the evolutionary sense behind our drives and interests he explains how refined sugar syndrome applies to many things people do for entertainment particularly video games as technology behind them has in effect made possible a concentrated particularly potent play experience that is very new in its expression and very old in its origins. Games are a specialized form of play and play goes so deep into our history that we see it in other species such as animals playing people share this instinct to play and our brains and complex social structure have caused use to extend that play into our maturity but all human entertainment is all about learning about survival and reproduction and the necessary associated social rules and behaviors. He also talks about tribe members and how they have survival strategies the logical basis for a theory to explain why so many people gain pleasure from leisure time activities that in one way or another honed their ancestors survival skills.

The second reading that I looked at was clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades: players who suit MUDs by Richard Bartle four approaches to playing MUDs are identified and describe these these approaches may arise from the inter relationship of two dimensions of playing style which are action versus interaction and world oriented versus player oriented. The dynamics of player populations is given in terms of these dimensions with particular attention to how to promote balance this also offers and explanation for the labeling of MUDs as being either social or game like. MUDs are games to achievers, pastimes to explorers, sports to killers, entertainments to socialisers. He also talks about interest graphs, changing the player type balance which include players, world, interacting and acting, the social versus game like debate, player interactions such as achievers vs achievers, achievers vs explorers and achievers vs killers etc, dynamics and overbalancing a MUD.

The third reading I read was MDA: A formal approach to game design and game research Robin Hunicke, Marc LeBlanc and Robert Zubek which was about the MDA framework which stands for mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics developed and taught as part of the game design and tuning workshop at the game developers conference. MDA is a formal approach to understanding games one attempts to bridge the gap between game design and development, game criticism and technical game research. In the reading they talk about the aesthetics which are sensation, fantasy, narrative, challenge, fellowship, discovery, expression and submission. They also talk about MDA in detail, aesthetic models and dynamic models and they also talk about MDA at work. MDA supports a formal, iterative approach to design and tuning it allows us to reason explicitly about particular design goals and to anticipate how changes will impact each aspect of framework and the resulting designs/implementations. MDA is three levels of abstraction, we can conceptualize the dynamic behavior of game systems.Understanding games as dynamic systems helps us develop techniques for iterative design and improvement allowing us to control for undesired outcomes, and tune for desired behavior.

kinds of fun- I really liked this reading about different kinds of fun and players.
players who suit MUDs- I really enjoyed this reading about MUDs.
MDA- I really enjoyed this reading about MDA.


MUD-MUDs




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading 10

This week I have finally finished my topics I have over 2,000 for my chapters my game design process has more words than my visual and audio elements but not by much I have learned a lot from writing these topics and have definitely improved my writing skills a lot, I have also learned a lot on each of my topics. Overall I feel like my topics are decent and that I have wrote some good information on both of them. I am really glad that I have finished and it is a huge weight of my shoulders I just have to do my reflection work. I feel like this week we have done a lot on fixing up the writing on most of the chapters which is really good and I feel like everyone has done good work overall. Below are some screenshots of my topics in my chapter.

Unity tutorial 03

Unity tutorial 03 I have learned a lot from this unity tutorial I have learned how to create a clock from objects such as cubes and cylinders and how to position, scale and rotate them in the right positions which I found really helpful. I also learned how to create materials to add to the objects to add color and how to use a mesh collider component I also learned what is a child object and a parent object. The most important part of this tutorial would have to be the c# script it taught me how to get objects to move by using class and transform I found this very interesting but it was hard it did not work for me at first but I finally got it to work after a while I might not use anything I learned in this tutorial but it was good to learn new things about unity I might use some of the information I learned from the tutorial about c# script in my game. I am looking forward to start creating my game and all the information I have learned so far in unity and making my game look as goo...

Unity tutorial 05

Unity tutorial 05 I learned a lot from these Jimmy Vegas unity tutorials I learned how to add text and how to change the color of text I also learned how to add raw images and how to change the shapes of them. I also learned in c script how to add sound to the diamond and how to link action display, action text and extra cursor to the diamond. I also learned how to add more objects such as a fence and how to duplicate it and how to make objects look more realistic by using textures. I learned how to add objects to the person in the game and how to make objects move with the person when he walks I also learned how to make the object move by using animation by changing the position and scale with 60 frames per second. I also learned how to use layers so that the object will no clip into any other objects. I also learned how to make an object move and swing using c script also how to add sound to an object by using c script also. I am looking forward to starting my game and using some o...